Open to AAMFT members only.
AAMFT is pleased to launch the 2023-2024 cohort for the Certificate of Leadership. This unique program has been developed to provide MFTs of all levels with the skills to enable them to help advance both their own careers and our vibrant and expanding profession.
Designed to be completed over approximately 18 months, this program is the first of its kind for MFTs. Built around a unique mix of training, education, mentoring, and self-discovery, it delivers one of the most comprehensive experiences available. The program focuses on key areas of leadership development both in the concept and the practical application of skills. The Certificate of Leadership includes continuing education comprised of sessions during the Leadership Symposium (March 9 - 11, 2023 in New Orleans, LA), on-demand courses, and a virtual Certificate of Leadership Day (November 2, 2023).
This program is ideal for:
- MFTs interested in leadership positions within their place of work, communities, or within AAMFT.
- MFTs interested in key roles in advocacy or policy development.
- Emerging MFTs interested in developing a foundation of leadership skills to guide their careers.
- In-person training at the Leadership Symposium - Training will focus on key areas of leadership development both in concept and the practical application of skills
- Live, virtual training at Certificate of Leadership Day - Training will focus on key areas of leadership development both in concept and the practical application of skills
- Leadership Learning Labs - Interactive discussions with industry leaders and fellow cohorts held virtually
- Online, on-demand training via Teneo - Additional courses to enhance and customize your experience to your needs
- Personalized DiSC inventory - Personalized assessment to determine leadership and communication strengths and areas for improvement
- Mentor pairing - Get connected with a leader in the MFT field for advisement and mentoring
- Leadership portfolio - Development of portfolio to showcase leadership skills and efforts
Testimonials from past participants:
"This experience led me to make several very deep connections to other leaders within this program I know will have a huge impact on this field. I am fortunate I got to meet them, work with them, and form truly wonderful friendships which would not have been possible had I not participated in this Leadership Program," Amanda Anderson, Certificate of Leadership graduate
Is this program right for you? How much time should you plan for participation? These questions and more are discussed in the Frequently Asked Questions.
Leadership Symposium: 5 hours
Certificate of Leadership Day: 4 hours
Online Teneo training: 6 hours
Leadership Learning Labs: 2 hours
*All hours must be completed. Additional hours may be added.
$550 - This cost includes registration for the Leadership Symposium.
AAMFT will make available up to 5 scholarships, based on merit, for participants in the 2023- 2024 cohort. We offer these scholarships to ensure that members with high potential develop as leaders in the profession of marriage and family therapy and the association will be able to complete the AAMFT Certificate of Leadership. Scholarships cover the cost of tuition. Travel costs are not included. All scholarship recipients must be available to attend the in-person Leadership Symposium event (March 9 - 11, 2023 in New Orleans, LA) as well as the live, virtual training day (November 2, 2023).
Deadline for scholarship applications is January 6, 2023 at 11:59 p.m. eastern. Your application will be reviewed by our Scholarship Committee. Scholarship winners will receive notification by January 26, 2023.
Application materials can be submitted ADD FORM.
Qualifications to Apply
- Two letters of reference addressing your potential as a leader - may be from a mentor, supervisor, employer or other who knows you professionally
- Statement of Personal Interest in participating in the Certificate of Leadership Program including your reflections on: (no more than 2 pages)
- What are your professional and personal strengths?
- Where do you see yourself professionally in five years?
- Give us examples of your personal or professional leadership across your lifespan.
- This year’s scholarships are being offered with preference to those with financial need. Please provide relevant information you would like to share with the reviewers.
- What other information do you wish to share with the Scholarship Committee that will aid the Committee in its decision-making?
In the case of circumstances beyond its control, AAMFT reserves the right to make necessary changes in presenters and content of all AAMFT Certificate of Leadership training.
Due to the nature of the training related to the AAMFT Certificate of Leadership Leadership, cancellations and any subsequent request for refund must be made 30 days prior to the start of the Leadership Symposium for a full refund. Cancellations made between 29 days and 10 days before the start of the Leadership Symposium, will be eligible for a 25% refund. Cancellation made less than 10 days prior to the Leadership Symposium will not be eligible for a refund.
All cancellation requests must be made in writing, and can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.