Several criteria were considered when selecting the states for phase one. These included:
- Level of challenges with existing laws for licensure portability/multi-state licensure.
- Number of MFTs within the state as well as advocacy volunteer strength.
- Migration patterns of clients and therapists.
- Friendliness of the legislature towards the profession as well as states with active sessions.
- Proximity to other states within targets (a strong preference was shown for multi-state licensure with adjoining states).
- Other advocacy priorities for the profession within the state.