Exploring Experiences of Diversity and Multiculturalism in the Therapeutic Process: Clinical and Ethical Considerations
Social inequalities result in health disparities, relational conflict, and assaults to personal dignity. These experiences influence the lives of therapists and clients who come from diverse contexts and enter a space of healing together. This webinar will explore how larger systems of power impact the therapeutic relationship and influence the interactions that take place in the clinical context. Participants will develop an awareness for the cultural differences that influence the lived experiences of both therapists and their clients. After understanding how experiences of power, privilege, and oppression affect the clinical relationship, participants will learn how to implement interventions that are culturally sensitive and responsive. Additionally, participants will explore the complex ethical issues and challenges that become salient when delivering interventions from a culturally-informed lens. Participants will learn how to integrate a multicultural perspective into their practice, and engage with clients from a social justice-oriented framework.
- Participants will be able to describe how larger social systems influence the lived experiences of therapists and clients.
- Participants will be able to describe how dimensions of identity influence the lived experiences of therapists and clients.
- Participants will be able to implement culturally sensitive and responsive interventions that address the needs of clients from diverse backgrounds.
- Participants will be able to identify underlying ethical issues when delivering multicultural interventions in therapy.
- Participants will be able to describe strategies for practicing therapy from a social justice-oriented framework.
- Participants will be able to identify underlying clinical issues when delivering multicultural interventions in therapy.
Continuing Education Units
You can receive up to 4.0 Ethics CEs for this webinar series. Click Here
for information on CEs. Approved for LMFTs, LPCs, and LCSWs in Wisconsin, Illinois, and Minnesota.
Non-members wishing to register for events will need to create a prospective member account. This will provide you with an AAMFT account but you will not have to pay dues. This way you can register for any event with us in the future!