Since 1990, cash awards have been given by the Foundation for the Advancement of Human Systems to up to two minority supervisors-in-training to support the recruitment, training and retention of minorities as AAMFT Approved Supervisors for the field of marriage and family therapy.
This award may be self-nominated by an AAMFT member or nominated by another AAMFT member. Nominators must submit:
Selection criteria for the award include:
- United States and Canadian minority citizens and permanent visa residents, including, but not limited to those who identify as Black/African American, American Indian/Alaska Native, Asian/Asian American, Native Hawaiian/Other Pacific Islander, Hispanic, Latino/a, or Spanish origin, LGBT, bi/multilingual, or an individual with one or more disability.
- Currently enrolled in a Master’s degree program or post-degree training program in marriage and family therapy accredited by the AAMFT COAMFTE.
- Candidate must be licensed as an MFT in their state (if there is licensure in their state), or a PhD candidate in marriage and family therapy.
In the case of equally meritorious applications, consideration will be given to applicants who have demonstrated active participation in an AAMFT activity. Examples, in addition to AAMFT membership, may include such activities as volunteering at an AAMFT/Component event, being a presenter at an AAMFT/Component event, or a poster presentation.
Letter of Recommendation
All self-nominations require a letter of recommendation to be submitted with materials.
The award consists of:
- A cash award of $2,000 per recipient.
- An engraved plaque presented at an AAMFT event (virtual or in person).
- The event registration fee will also be waived for the AAMFT event (if applicable)
Announcements of award winners will be distributed via the eNews and other platforms as they apply.