The Foundation for the Advancement of Human Systems recognizes scholarly achievement by recent graduates whose research study related to couples and family therapy or family therapy training.
This award may be self-nominated by an AAMFT member or nominated by another AAMFT member. Nominator must submit the nominee’s proposal and a written statement (500 words max) of why the proposal should be selected. Selection criteria for the award include:
1. Dissertation completed in the preceding academic year.
2. Applicant has been awarded the degree.
3. Significance of the substantive issue for couples and family therapy.
4. Conceptual and theoretical clarity.
5. Soundness, sophistication, and appropriateness of the methodology, whether quantitative, qualitative, or conceptual.
6. Importance of the substantive findings.
7. Quality of the interpretation and discussion of the findings.
8. Style and quality of the writings.
9. Priority will be given to clinical research.
In the case of equally meritorious applications, consideration will be given to applicants who have demonstrated active participation in an AAMFT activity. Examples, in addition to AAMFT membership, may include such activities as volunteering at a conference, being a presenter at a conference, or a poster presentation.
Letter of Recommendation
All self-nominations require a letter of recommendation to be submitted with materials.
The award consists of:
- An engraved plaque presented at an AAMFT event (virtual or in person).
- Reimbursement of up to $1,000 per recipient for travel to the AAMFT event (if applicable).
- The event registration fee will also be waived for the award recipient(s) (if applicable).
*The AAMFT Foundation will reimburse up to the total of $1,000 for economy class airfare, transportation to/from airport/hotel, meals per AAMFT allowances for the one day of the ceremony, and one night's hotel stay at one of the AAMFT event hotels (at the special discounted rate) for the night of the ceremony. You must submit itemized receipts upon your return from the event. Alcohol will not be reimbursed.
Announcements of award winners will be distributed via the eNews and other platforms as they apply.