This workshop will review the essential ethical and legal background for the provision of psychotherapy by licensed master social workers and licensed clinical social workers in New York State in the areas of record-keeping, informed consent and mandatory reporting requirements. Practitioners will be provided with templates for general record-keeping, informed consent, HIPAA Notice of Privacy Practices, SAFE Act reporting and risk management documentation. Topics will include:
1. Beginning and planning psychotherapeutic treatment.
2. Supervision and consultation.
3. The basics of record-keeping and contents of records.
4. Foundations of standards of care, including statutes, professional regulations, case law and NASW, AAMFT Code of Ethics.
5. Informed consent for all patients and the HIPAA Notice of Privacy Practices.
6. Special issues of informed consent with adolescents.
7. Special issues with child abuse and neglect identification and reporting in NYS.
8. Assessing and managing at-risk patients, the duty to protect and warn.
9. New York's SAFE Act.
About the Presenter:
Bruce V. Hillowe, J.D, Ph.D. is a mental healthcare attorney with a law practice in Mineola, New York. A graduate of Binghamton University, Duke University School of Law, and Adelphi University Derner Institute (Clinical Psychology and Postdoctoral Programs), he formerly practiced as a psychologist-psychoanalyst, including as a coordinator of clinical training and a director of a forensic mental health service. He was a teaching attending psychologist in law and ethics at a major teaching hospital for 15 years. He currently teaches courses in ethics and law as adjunct faculty at the Derner Institute. He is legal counsel to numerous mental health facilities, institutes, and practitioners and sponsors legal plans for professional associations. He has written articles and book chapters including for law reviews and healthcare publications, most recently regarding scope of practice and disciplinary defense. He is listed in the Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers in healthcare law and is a "SuperLawyer" featured in the New York Times Magazine.
2 CE for NYS MFTs, Mental Health Counselors, Social Workers
Please review our Continuing Education Policy
Please follow our Check In & Out Procedure for your Continuing Education Certificate
Please note AAMFT Event Cancellation/Refund Policy