2018 Call for Nominations
Here’s your opportunity to shape our governance and organization by nominating individuals
for open Board of Directors, Elections Council, and COAMFTE positions. You can nominate for
as many positions as you wish. Terms of office to begin January 1, 2019**.
The Elections Council is looking for nominations to continuously strengthen AAMFT governance. We encourage you in 2017 to selectively consider members who you believe will work hard in advancing the profession and Association through leadership in AAMFT governance.
The Board of Directors and Elections Council seek out the following qualifications in nominees:
Elections Council Positions:
- Prior member-intensive service to an organization.
- Work well with others in the committee process.
- Knowledge of issues facing AAMFT and profession.
- Past experience working in the association at any level.
- Work from a board perspective which takes into account the needs of the association as a whole for the next several years.
- Possess leadership knowledge, skills and/or experience.
- Ability to identify and recruit, through direct communication, a broad segment of AAMFT membership in securing nominations.
- Possess skills and experience related to leadership and board participation.
- Willingness to network within regional and national contexts.
- Devote concentrated time of 6-8 weeks during late January through early March, in active Elections Council process of vetting.
- Attend the Spring Elections Council Meeting (Thursday-Sunday) and Fall Elections Council Meeting either held in conjunction with the AAMFT Conference or at another time scheduled.
- Actively encourage members to nominate people throughout the year, especially in the fall and winter until nominations cease.
- Check email daily and keep up with discussions in the AAMFT Network.
- Minimum of five (5) years of professional experience beyond attainment of the graduate professional degree. Professional experience may include program or administrative leadership in discipline, professional education, research, community and/or independent practice.
- AAMFT Approved Supervisor.
- Knowledge of and experience with COAMFTE accreditation standards and policies and procedures.
- Experience as a COAMFTE Site Visitor.
- Prior experience as a chair of a site visit.
- AAMFT governance or Involvement (National, Divisional, Professional).
- Experience in educating Marriage and Family Therapists.
- Administrative or leadership experience (Program Director, Site Visitor, etc.).
- Able to attend all COAMFTE meetings:
- Currently two (2) in-person meetings per year over a 2-3 day period; and
- Two (2) virtual meetings 2-3 hours in length.
- Participate in Commission and Subcommittee work.
- Licensure or certification in marriage and family therapy by the nomination deadline (not applicable for Student/Pre-Allied Mental Health Professional)
- A willingness and ability to complete the work on a board, elections council, or COAMFTE positions, including committee assignments.
- The ability to gather and integrate information, work towards a consensus, and make decisions.
- Knowledge and/or experience at some level of leadership.
- Knowledge of and desire to advocate on behalf of diversity and equity.
- Commitment to social justice and systemic science, thereby promoting the core values of Marriage and Family Therapy.
- Organizational leadership experience.
- Members who are elected to the Board of Directors and COAMFTE must step down from voting positions on AAMFT Division Boards (Election Council members may continue to serve on AAMFT Division Boards).
- Prospective candidates must resign from other governance Board positions (any level of governance in other national mental health professional associations, e.g., chapter, division or national boards) upon accepting nomination for the AAMFT elected position and must submit written proof of resignation (such as a copy of the association’s letter of response to the letter of resignation) along with their candidate application packet. No elected official of AAMFT is eligible to run for a position that has a term beginning prior to the completion of their term. If an elected official chooses to run for a vacant position that could result in their current position being abandoned, he/she must submit a letter of resignation from their current position with their nomination materials.
The following positions are open for nominations for the 2018 election (terms of office to begin January 1, 2019**):
President-Elect (Term of 2 years as President-Elect, term of 2 years as President, term 1 year as Past President (5 years total commitment), all states/provinces eligible.) One position to be filled.
Board of Directors (Term of 3 years, all states/provinces eligible). Two positions to be filled.
Elections Council** (Term of 3 years, all states/provinces eligible). Two positions to be filled.
COAMFTE (Term of 3 years, all states/provinces eligible). Two positions to be filled.
**Elections Council term of office begins at the fall meeting of the Elections Council which is held in conjunction with the AAMFT Annual Conference.
In keeping with AAMFT’s commitment to diversity, we are particularly interested in nominees that reflect diversity of education, training, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender, age, religion, physical ability, cultural background, employment, and/or professional settings.
STEP 1: Decide who you would like to nominate. Remember, you may nominate for all positions, and as many people as you would like. You may nominate a person for more than one position. You may also nominate yourself. Feel free to copy this form as many times as necessary, if you are nominating more than one individual.
STEP 2: Call your nominee(s) to make sure they are willing to run.
STEP 3: Fill out the form below and fax to (703) 838-9805 or mail it to AAMFT Elections Council, 112 South Alfred Street, Alexandria, Virginia 22314. It must be in the AAMFT office by 12 midnight on December 31, 2017.